Thursday, October 12, 2017

Student Tiles + What I am Making + Open Studio This Weekend

The second Creative Retreat of 2017 here at Leyden Glen Farm featured a day of tile painting. After the students left, the tiles were bisque fired. Then I painted on a gloss glaze and fired them again. Here are all the tiles the students painted. 



The next two photos show the sets of tiles a little closer. Aren't they fantastic? I am so proud of everyone. 




This class was such a hit that I plan to run it again next year. 

Outside in the garden, the bees and butterflies are collecting pollen like crazy. The sunflowers are mostly gone for 2017 but there is still so much natural activity with all kinds of insects. Soon the seeds will mature and it will be a feast for the birds, squirrels and other rodents. 



In my studio, I've been working like the busy bees outside my windows. I will be joining in with clay artists throughout the US and world for National Clay Week. This Saturday and Sunday - October 14/15, my Little Pottery Studio will be open to the public from 11 to 4. I will be demonstrating how I make pottery on my wheel and selling some work. 

National Clay Week gave me an opportunity to gear up for lots of making for the upcoming holiday season. The sunflowers have been inspiring me and I've been decorating lots of pots with colorful blooms.  Here are some in process shots of work before it has been bisque or glaze fired. 

DIrections to our farm here.
Hours 11 to 4 on October 14 + 15
2 hours from Boston
3 1/2 hours from NYC
15 minutes from the I-91 Greenfield Exit #26 Rotary 


2 comments:

fracksmom said...

Good luck this weekend.
Why don’t you collect seeds from your different sunflowers to plant next year?

Auntie Shan said...

Wow! Those tiles are COOL! - Actually, a tile done with all of those "thumbnails" would be even cooler!
Whatever. I really like the set with the stick-figures and the house... Would be an interesting way to display your kid's art by copying it onto a bunch of tiles. [or have them do it directly]

BTW, I finally got to see that "spread" of your place in that BEST OF FLEA MARKET... issue the other day. Great pics. Really hoping that it generates some po$itive intere$t your way!

Anyhoo, also HOPE the weather cooperates for you guys this weekend! -- I'll bet the Sheep have been working on their TOURIST-"POSES" all week!
*HUGS*!!
;-D

Kristin Is Now Writing Over on Substack

Hi All! A quick note to let you all know that I'm now writing a Newsletter over on Substack: Kristin Nicholas' Colorful Newsletter f...